Jul 19, 2019

Your Venture's Unfair Advantage


1.       Fundraising Experience: I have worked on fundraising project as a member of fraternity and a member of UF Club baseball.
·         Valuable: this is extremely valuable for the future of each organizations.
·         Rare: this is not rare anybody can do it.
·         Inimitable: this experience able to be imitated, but not 100%.
·         Non-substitutable: I could always hire someone to do it for me, but that would cost me money instead of time.
2.       Uniqueness of the Venture/Lack of Competitors: because there is currently a product that similar but not same so less competitive.
·         Valuable: this is very valuable.
·         Rare: It is kind of rare but similar stuff exist.
·         Inimitable: While my product is new, someone could come and copy this in the future.
·         Non-substitutable: I could definitely try to come up with some other idea that was also unique and it could have the same benefits.
3.       Social Capital: driving experience as Uber.
·         Valuable: Their experiences and words of advice is invaluable and could definitely push the venture forward into public eye.
·         Rare: It is somewhat rare. It is not easy to find a driver in your friends.
·         Inimitable: This can be imitated.
·         Non-substitutable: This can be substituted with other driving experience like taxi driver..
4.       Public Speaking Experience: I won 10th in the State for public speaking when I was in Japan and so I am comfortable to talk in front of people.
·         Valuable: I think this is valuable because I can use these skills to speak with investors and potential customers.
·         Rare: This is not rare; I could hire a spokesperson.
·         Inimitable: This could be imitated, but not with the passion and drive that I have.
·         Non-substitutable: Nothing substitutes the power of communication.
5.       Personal relationships with fellow entrepreneurs: My father’s friend is an entrepreneur and is always encouraging me to think 4P if I want to start a business.
·         Valuable: having both the voice of experience and motivation from the inside of your closest circle is invaluable.
·         Rare: I could talk to other entrepreneurs, but none of them know me like my dad does.
·         Inimitable: This relationship cannot be imitated, nor the amount of care.
·         Non-substitutable: This could be substituted by another entrepreneurial mentor, perhaps even one who has experience in this field.
6.       Support of Current Organizations: There are many organizations that doing similar things. Definitely we can partner up with Uber eats or Bites Squad or any other food delivery services.
·         Valuable: This is valuable because I can get the support of many organizations who are already know about this industry.
·         Rare: There are lots of organizations that doing similar services, so it is not rare.
·         Inimitable: It is not inimitable because Blue Apron does same stuff but they are just not for college students.
·         Non-substitutable: I could not get the same about of support from any other group of people than from well-known organizations who are willing to help.
7.       Publicity: People know they need to eat healthy and we have been taught very well about nutrition since primary school. Once we started advertising, definitely there is a huge demand for this service. Advertising through social media will be a lot of help.
·         Valuable: Social media is definitely valuable. The more people hear about the product, the better.
·         Rare: It is rare that a new product gets a lot of publicity but I know there is demand.
·         Inimitable: It is inimitable because this service is very rare..
·         Non-substitutable: Probably TV but social media is most effective for college students.
8.       Social Capital: UF Greek Life: Because I am a student of UF, and a member of fraternity so I can contact to other fraternity and sorority.
·         Valuable: This is valuable because the relationships I have with fellow students can help push me forward, especially if those students are the heads of their fraternity/sorority chapter.
·         Rare: This is not rare because virtually any UF student could accomplish the same thing.
·         Inimitable: This is not hard to copy – it is just a matter of being willing to connect with new people.
·         Non-substitutable: Having the connections with fraternities/sororities and their leaders cannot be substituted, since they are the ones who I would try to market to first.
9.       Social Capital: worker at off campus apartments: I am very close friends with several guys who are working for off-campus apartments.
·         Valuable: This is very valuable because they can contact or put advertisement to all the students who is living in the complex.
·         Rare: This is not rare.
·         Inimitable: This could be imitated by anyone with access to these people.
·         Non-substitutable: I could not substitute their knowledge with any other knowledge.
10.   Social Capital: Preview stuff: one of my friends is one of preview stuffs and he meet many incoming freshmen Tuesday and Thursday every week.
·         Valuable: I do believe this is valuable. It will be good advertisement for sure.
·         Rare: It is quite rare for someone doing this job because there is only 30ish preview stuffs.
·         Inimitable: This cannot be copied by other competitors unless they have same friends.
·         Non-substitutable: This is substitutable if you could find somebody who have a chance to meet a lot of freshmen like preview stuffs.
After my VRIN analysis, my top resource was social capital. I think it is because connection between people is very important to start a successful business.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kaito,

    This is one of the best submissions for this assignment I have come across. The structure and formatting is excellent and you kept everything clean, concise, and clear. This simplicity allows only the most important content to shine through, and makes it far easier on the reader. Your Uber driving experience as a college student is certainly rare and quite impressive as a hustle while you are busy with your studies. You are well set up with your background and connections and I wish you all the best in this entrepreneurial endeavor.

    Jonah Brafman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaito,

    I agree with Jonah that your submission for this assignment was really well done.
    It seems to me that #3, your experience as an Uber driver in Gainesville, paired with #9, your social capital of off-campus apartment employees, creates a very unique set network connections that is not easily duplicated. I think the market research that you can do from these two areas will help you build your business plan into one that is viable. You do have an unfair advantage as long as you remain passionate about solving the problem. I encourage you to keep with the goal and keep working the entrepreneurial process.

    Best Regards,

    Suzanna

    ReplyDelete

Final Reflection

1)     Read through your posts from this semester. Recall all of the experiences you've had a long the way -- the highs, the lows -- th...